Help create a collaborative building game inspired by Lego
Wanted: Generalist Engineer (first hire)
Location: San Francisco (free relocation)
Graffiti World is a browser-based collaborative building game that lets people create anything imaginable.
Anyone artistic can contribute a new object simply by drawing it (we currently have ~6,000 objects). After an object is drawn in 2D, it's bounding-boxed into a 2.5D object that can be used to build in 3D space.
Influences: Minecraft, SimCity, The Sims, Lego
We've released sandbox versions to 1,000 beta players, and they loved it: they placed 230,000+ objects, drew 1,500 new ones, and each spent an average of 90 minutes building stuff.
- git (with this workflow)
Don't let unfamiliar technology worry you — it's fine to learn as you go.
At Graffiti Labs, you might find yourself...
- working on game design, performance, intuitive UI, real-time collaboration, or artist tools
- hacking together a browser-based tile image rendering farm for a google-maps-like zoom feature
- writing code to recognize cycles in the overlap graph of thousands of 2.5D objects
- figuring out how users can position objects in 3D space using only 2D mouse movements
- or doing whatever you think needs doing!
We believe in making games that:
- treat players like humans, not potential "whales"
- incite true collaboration
- let players express their personality and creativity
- players are proud of spending time playing
About UsWe made Graffiti (a profitable drawing application on Facebook with 25 million users and 100 million graffiti drawn). It has an active community of users and artists that makes for a good testbed and launchpad.
- There are three cofounders. You'd be our first hire.
- We're well-funded with lots of runway.
- One of our advisors was in charge of The Sims 2 and 3 at EA (the best-selling PC game franchise of all time)
- We have a history of putting users before money. We think it's the right thing to do, and it's also good long-term business.
Stuff You Get
- competitive salary
- significant equity
- 30" screens
- free food
- free parking
- exclusive access to our petting zoo, consisting of one (1) dog, and zero (0) honey badgers.
- Code you've written (e.g. link to specific github projects/files, or attached zipped projects and note a couple files to look at).
- Whatever you can tell us about stuff you've built/done, from childhood till now. It doesn't all have to be software-related.
- A screenshot of the solution to this browser-based puzzle (recommended)
- Your resume, links to your website, blog, stackoverflow/quora accounts, etc (if you want)
Know the perfect person for this job? You get $2,000 if you refer someone we hire.